Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Taking the TGV to Christmastown



200 mph never felt so smooth in the bar car.
The day the P man has waited for has arrived.  It's TGV day and he is up at 6:30 a.m all his own to embrace the high speed wonder.  He was too little on previous trips to remember much of the TGV, but has dutifully read up on its' engineering marvels.

A funny thing happened in France, he will correct Mitch for the English pronunciation of TGV, he actively gets annoyed. He's actually been trying to speak as much French as possible and for that, I give him tons of credit.  Wait until he hates me later for making him take French via private tutor.  One of the absolute best things my parents ever did for me (and they did an IMMENSE amount) and I hated every minute of it, until I was old enough to appreciate it.

I actually get a little teary about the thought of not speaking French on the return home.  Yeah, yeah, I could join a group or something, but it's just not the same :)

modern meets old in a redux  Solider Field. 
At any rate, back to the TGV.  Since we have been to Paris a good deal of visits and I know the TGV will make Pierce's year, I opt for a visit to the Capitale de Noel.  Yep the Capital of Christmas, Strasbourg.  It's a relatively new TGV destination (2007),and it's just over 2 hours, so it seems the perfect option.  Plus their legendary Christmas Markets has started three days prior so it's a must visit.

The train on the way out is perfection.  Literally, reminds me of airline travel waaaaaay back in the day. And we are in second class!  We all snooze a bit but the wonder in Pierce's face is contagious.  The 'hardened' business men next to use even smile in his amazement.  Strasbourg is the center for EU business and such so lots and lots of business travelers.

Notre Dame in Strasbourg puts the Paris lady in her place



So in general, Strasbourg services elves and business travelers.

Being a bit North of Paris, I fear it may be a bit chilly, but alas unprecedented Paris sunshine follows us to Strasbourg. Although a winter white dusting may be more appropriate for Christmas town.

The train is of course, on time!  Shocking to American's who ride rails.  The station is a mix of old and new and instantly reminds me of Solider Field.  The mix is the same.

A very short walk into 'town' and it's clear Strasbourg is straight out of central casting for Christmas.  They've lived up to their name of the capital of christmas.  It's quaint and charming and a bit Epcot.  You can walk the whole place, but of course they have a Tram……Hmmmm…..this smells like Disney and I almost look for logos underneath the tram.

The Christmas Market goods are from China generally so I am holding on to my Euros. Ironically I find the best ornaments in the Croation market (Strasbourg invites a new country every year to host a market in their monstrosity of xmas markets).  Seriously, the displays are CB2 personified for the most part.  Give me something that says Strasbourg at least (Thank you Croatia).

On to the other Kindlemarket staple, Vin Chaud.  Which translates to hot sugar wine.  Seriously vile, but it is sold every two feet so I imagine someone drinks the stuff.. And unlike their Parisians counterparts they do not sell beer at xmas markets, it is all vin chaud all the time.

A visit to the Notre Dame of Stasbourg is inspired.  Because Pierce and Mitch love all things clock, we visit the astrological clock in the cathedral, which honestly is stunning and dare I say better than Paris' lady church. I always marvel at how the heck they constructed these things, I mean it is miraculous in and of itself.

A visit to a local brewery is okay, but then again I think we are particularly spoiled by good beer and may be a bit 'high brow' in the regard.  But the food is actually really good and it's a quaint and 'rustic' joint, (read: a bit divey), which suits us well.

The overall atmosphere of Strasbourg at Christmas is magical. Yes, I just used a Disney term.  Alas, the lights street tiny corridors and alleys and general cheer are wonders.  The day is long, but lovely.  A short walk back to the train station and the day is one for the memory books.









No comments:

Post a Comment