Thursday, February 26, 2009

Montmartre Mystery Machine


With the movie Amelie fresh in our minds (had to finally rent it before we left) we trekked over to Montmartre today and got a gander at Sacre Coeur and the surrounding area. It was overcast, but warmish (48F), which meant the tourist brigade was not out in force. To fully appreciate the view, I guess it should ideally be sunny, but then you get the crowds, so I'd rather the overcast and deserted.

At the base of Sacre Coeur, Pierce does what he does best and whined until we let him ride the Carrousel. Actually we don't even fight it in anymore. My new career my involve writing a review of Paris merry go rounds, as I am now a classified an expert, along with my trusty horse riding companion.

A quick trip to the top to check the view, followed by a slow walk back down to get Pierce in nap mode, yielded a nice walk through the neighborhood for Mitch and I. A lunch stop for foie gras salad (Mitch) and a delicious crepe (Jen) and post nap brought us yet again to a merry go round. Are you sensing a theme here?

This was not just any carrousel. It was particularly built for wee ones and was one wacky ride. I got a lump in my throat since Pierce could go on alone and all Mitch and I could do was stand around taking pictures. He looked so big on the ride and loved his spin in the Mystery Machine. Yes, he rode as the 'driver' in the Scooby Doo Mystery Machine Van. I told you it was a different sort of merry go round.

The carrousel resides in front of a Metro stop that features one of only two remaining original and ornate 'Metropolitan' signs. Gorgeous. Wish more would have survived over the years.

Mitch leaves on Friday for his Stag party in Galway, Ireland but no rest for the blog. Pierce and I will be doing our duty to continue the Gordon family invasion of Paris.

2 comments:

  1. Looks like you'll be regular visitors to the Navy Pier carousel when you get back, whether you like it or not.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank goodness there is one at Lincoln Park Zoo!

    ReplyDelete